Professor of Biomedical Science and Biology
Office: B650 Statistics
Phone (951) 827-5705
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1972
My research is aimed at elucidating the molecular mechanisms for regulation of liver gene expression by nutrients, hormones, and cytokines. One gene that we are studying is the gene that encodes insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I). IGF-I is an important regulator of somatic growth in mammals, and its expression in the liver is regulated by nutrition. Decreased IGF-I expression is causally linked to the growth arrest that occurs in nutritionally-restricted animals. We have been studying the molecular mechanisms for regulation of IGF-I gene expression by dietary protein and carbohydrate. In related studies, we are analyzing the mechanism by which serum albumin gene expression is regulation by essential amino acids, and by cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor-¦ and interleukin-6. Ultimately, we hope to elucidate the molecular basis for the reduced serum albumin expression that is seen in chronically malnourished patients and in patients with cancer.
Dr. Straus participates in the Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology graduate program.
Some Representative Publications....
- Straus, D. S. and E. J. Burke. 1995. Glucose stimulates IGF-I gene expression in C6 glioma cells. Endocrinology 136:365-368.
- Straus, D. S., N. W. Marten, J. M. Hayden, and E. J. Burke. 1994. Protein restriction specifically decreases the abundance of serum albumin and transthyretin nuclear transcripts in rat liver. Journal of Nutrition 124:1041-1051.
- Marten, N. W., E. J. Burke, J. M. Hayden, and D. S. Straus. 1994. Effect of amino acid limitation on the expression of nineteen genes in rat hepatoma cells. FASEB Journal 8:538-544.
- Hayden, J. M., N. W. Marten, E. J. Burke, and D. S. Straus. 1994. The effect of fasting on insulin-like growth factor-I nuclear transcript abundance in rat liver. Endocrinology 134:760-768.
- Straus, D. S. 1994. Nutritional regulation of hormones and growth factors that control mammalian growth. FASEB Journal 8:6-12.
- Biology 115, Human Genetics
- Biology 200B, Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology